Watson’s EZ-PressTM Sorbitol DC was formulated for direct compression tableting and has excellent flow and good compressibility. Applications include a direct compression diluent for tablets, compressed mints, and effervescent tablets. Tablets have good hardness, low friability, and rapid dissolution.
Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol (polyol).
|Name of sweetener||Sorbitol|
|Calories per gram||2.6|
|Sweetness Index (compared to Sucrose which is 1 on the scale)||0.55|
|Description||EZ-PressTM Sorbitol DC is a free flowing white powder.|
|Mean Particle Size||260 microns|
|Bulk Density||0.47 g/cc|
|Tapped Bulk Density||0.57 g/cc|
Benefits of Sorbitol as a sweetener:
- Taste: good flavor
- Aftertaste: Little or none
- Excellent mouth feel, smooth mouthfeel
- Produces a cooling effect, which can create a refreshing sensation when combined with mint flavors.
- Very low Glycemic Index (GI) of 4 compared to Sucrose, which is the standard with a GI of 65
- Low GI may make Sorbitol suitable for a diabetic diet.
- Sorbitol is found in many fruits, including apples and pears. Sorbitol is also manufactured by the human body as part of the metabolic process.
- As with all sugar alcohols, Sorbitol is not metabolized in the oral cavity and therefore will not contribute toward tooth decay.