Potassium is important to our bodies because it functions as both a mineral and an electrolyte. It helps to regulate fluid balance within the body and critical to maintain our heartbeat.
Since potassium functions both as a mineral and an electrolyte it has a wide variety of functions in our bodies. It can be used to help with muscle contraction and in preventing muscle cramps in athletes, it assists in the metabolism of protein, energy, and carbohydrates and helps with acid – alkali balance. Potassium is a positively charge ion within our bodies, this allows potassium to maintain water balance and cell integrity. Potassium’s most important role is its ability to assist with maintaining heartbeat.
- Up to 6 months: 0.4 grams per day (g/day)
- 7 to 12 months: 0.7 g/day
Children and adolescents
- 1 to 3 years old: 3 g/day
- 4 to 8 years old: 3.8 g/day
- 9 to 13 years old: 4.5 g/day
- 14-18 years old: 4.7 g/day
- 19 years old and older: 4.7 g/day
Potassium deficiencies are extremely dangerous for our bodies.5 Potassium becomes lost when the body becomes dehydrated and it can lead to fatigue, vomiting, muscular weakness or cramping, paralysis, low blood pressure, intense thirst and eventually if the deficiency worsens, coma. Potassium deficiencies can be caused by dehydration, high sodium diets, diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, anorexia nervosa, alcoholism and cystic fibrosis.
Sources in the Diet
Bananas are the most common source to get potassium, but it is also found in raisins, prunes, avocados, spinach as well as some meats and fish like beef, mackerel and halibut.
Recent Studies and Articles
Potassium and heart health
Keeping healthy with potassium
Reducing salt intake and increasing potassium
- Very poor flavor
- pH impact
POTASSIUM IODIDE (1% K) , DP-21, 22 LB (10 KG)CARTON
POTASSIUM IODIDE 5% TRIT, DP-21, 22 LB (10 KG)CARTON
POTASSIUM CHLORIDE 70%, DP-21 50LBS CARTON
POTASSIUM BICARB 85% , 44 LB (20 KG.) CARTON
POTASSIUM IODIDE 1% ACACIA, 44 LB (20 KG.) CARTON
POTASSIUM IODIDE 10%,55LB/25KG CARTON
DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE 70% #N28545, 50 LB CTN
POTASSIUM IODIDE, 2% IODINE ON DCP, 44 LB CTN
POTASSIUM IODIDE 1% WITH MICRO ANALYSIS, 22 LB CTN
POTASSIUM IODIDE, 2% IODINE, 44 LB CTN
-  – http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002413.htm
-  – Hendler S., Rorvik D., Fleming T.,et al. Physicians’ Desk Reference for Nutritional Supplements. Montvale, NJ: Medical Economics Company, Inc.; 2001.
-  – Reavley N. The New Encyclopedia of Vitamins, Minerals, Supplements and Herbs. New York, NY: M. Evans and Company, Inc.; 1998.
-  – Nelms, M. Sucher, K. Lacey, K. Roth, S. Nutrition Therapy & Pathophysiology. 2 ed. New York, NY: Cengage Learning; 2011.
-  – Higdon J., Drake V., An Evidence-based Approach to Vitamins and Minerals. New York, NY: Thieme Publishing Group.; 2012
-  – Boyle, Marie A. and Anderson Sara L. Personal Nutrition. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning; 2007
-  – http://djarn.edublogs.org/files/2011/01/periodic-table-2jh1745.gif